Saturday, October 6, 2018

Threats to Marriage

The topic this week was an interesting and very difficult one for me. I am not a fan of political arguments and gay marriage is a steaming hot discussion in my experience. So, I try my best to stay out of these conversations unless someone asks me a direct question. I will admit that when it comes to the discussion of homosexuality and gay marriage, my response is that this is not my fight. And when I say fight, I am talking about same sex attraction and not about defending the church and my personal testimony of marriage and family. But a lightning bolt hit me while I was reading the speech given by President Russell M Nelson at a BYU graduation commencement when he stated that “Your individual strength of character is need now more than ever before. The day is gone when you can be a quiet and comfortable Christian. Your religion is not just about showing up for church on Sunday. It is about showing up as a true disciple from Sunday morning through Saturday night.” I know that I have to speak up for truth but I also want to show love and respect for my brothers and sisters despite their feelings of opposition. How do we find the fine line between standing for truth while respecting others? How should we respond when the conversation takes and argumentative turn?

For some reason, this week reminded me of a protest that took place while I was in junior high. The school administration had updated the dress code to exclude combat boots as acceptable footwear. Students were enraged and organized a walk-out. The principle warned us that any student who participated would be expelled for leaving the school grounds. There was a lot of peer pressure to support the cause of the students and join the walk. On the day of the planned walk out, a boy encouraged me to go with the other students, and my only response was “but…..I don’t wear combat boots.” He tried to tell me that it was about supporting the students and treating the dress code as oppressive. Once again, I responded with “I don’t wear combat boots, therefore, this is not my protest.” He looked at me with a shocked face. I have never been one to give into peer pressure or let someone make up my mind for me, even as a child. But another thing that bothered me was the teachers telling those of us that stayed behind that we were the good children. We were all good children but I understood the weight of the consequence and it was not worth the fight.

Watching the video of Ryan Anderson speaking with Piers Morgan and Suze Orman, I thought that Ryan was clear in stating that his opposition was not against the homosexuals, but with the federal government stepping in and overruling the states and more importantly, the individual right to vote in this particular argument. This overruling goes against the creation of the federal and state systems of government. But that point was not received by the host and was almost completely disregarded. The response was to go for the jugular and asked Ryan why he was against Susie and her happiness. He did not say one thing about individual happiness and rights to happiness. He stuck to the point of government organization and fixing the state tax system to include domestic partnerships without having to change the historical definition of Marriage. I found myself in knots by the end of the video and was reminded of the reasons why I don’t like these discussions. People do not listen. How can we have healthy conversation to come up with a solution?

I think that the greatest lesson that I have learned from the lesson this week, speaking specifically about the transcripts of the Supreme Court hearing, is how important it is to learn the facts before we make a judgement for ourselves. It is not enough to gather information from friend, family or media. We should be reading the laws the candidates for which we are voting. We should seek to understand and gain a testimony or our own. News centers are no longer the trusting source that they once were. This requires us to listen to the testimonies of others just as we would want them to listen to our testimony.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Healthy Ties with In-Laws and Extended Families

“One of the great gifts parents in law can give to their married children is to recognize early that they must help define and protect the ...