Saturday, October 13, 2018

Doctrine of Eternal Marriage

I am truly grateful for the doctrine of the church regarding marriage. Explaining the importance of the family unit and the purpose that it plays in the plan of salvation give me a better foundation for marriage. While I am a single sister myself, I have grown up around loving marital relationships including that of my parents and siblings. They have been an example of how marriage is more than just a responsibility, it is also a partnership and can be both a deep and meaningful relationship.
While we have many ordinances that are performed by the individual such as baptism and endowment, the highest temple ordinance that can be performed in the temple is the sealing ordinance of marriage. It is the crowning glory and a necessary ordinance for entering the Celestial Kingdom. With that in mind, a temple marriage becomes so much more than its secular counterpart. In Brother Hafen’s 1996 General Conference address titled “Covenant Marriage”, he referred to newly married couple and wondered if they viewed their marriage as a contract or covenant. While this is simple question, it is quite a thought provoking and impacting one. Contracts can be viewed as 50/50 you do your part and I will do mine and can be as easily broken as it was to assemble. But a covenant is a sacred promise to each other with the Lord. Covenants require a deeper understanding of the purpose of marriage not only in this life, but for our eternal lives.

Not long ago, I was at work and the topic of marriage came up and the historical purpose that it served for monetary gain, nobility and the acquisition of land and sometimes countries. It was purely a business contract that hopefully would turn into love. While these facts are historically accurate, it was sad to me that this was the opinion of what marriage really from the co-worker that is also a member of the church. I am not aware of her family background, but I grew up with a model of marriage that is not only celestial, but the epitome of a partnership. Despite the fact that my parents grew up in a generation of housewives and head of the household, they worked together seamlessly. In fact, I do not remember my dad making any kind of unilateral decision for the family. While he is the patriarch and priesthood holder, my parents thoughtfully made every decision together and despite my attempts to pit them against each other for my personal gain, it never worked and they were (and still are) a united front. They are a wonderful example of a covenant marriage above a contract. This is the type of relationship that I hope to have someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Healthy Ties with In-Laws and Extended Families

“One of the great gifts parents in law can give to their married children is to recognize early that they must help define and protect the ...